DAVID'S BRIDAL AND "AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL" JUDGE NIGEL BARKER REVEAL PICTURE-PERFECT TIPS AND TRENDS FOR PROM 2008
Fashion Photographer Divulges How to Stand Out in Style with Season's Hottest Looks
CONSHOHOCKEN, PA - March 5, 2008 -- With glamorous, celebrity-inspired fashions all the rage, teens are eager to plan their very own "red carpet" look for prom. But how can they create their own signature style like today's A-listers? Nigel Barker -- everyone's favorite "America's Next Top Model" judge and leading fashion and celebrity photographer -- is lending his eye to David's Bridal as their prom spokesperson to ensure girls are camera-ready in every way. Not only does Nigel offer insight into the season's hottest fashion trends, straight from the runway and the red carpet, he also shares his expert advice on how to achieve a "picture-perfect" prom.
"Prom night is a once-in-a-lifetime event for teens, so it's important for girls to find a dress they look good and feel confident in," says Nigel. "David's stylish prom collection is inspired by the looks seen on our favorite celebrities, yet completely affordable, so girls really have the freedom to create their own standout style with their favorite colors, silhouettes and accessories."
Trendsetters Know Color is King
What's the ultimate way to get noticed at the prom? Sizzle on the dance floor in a colorful, eye-catching gown that shows off your individuality. This season's vibrant color palette ranges from stunning metallics and brilliant brights to muted jewel tones and black and white classics. The key is to find a hue that not only works well with your hair and skin tone, but allows you to make a style statement befitting the glamour girl that you are.
The Shape of Things
A surefire way to stand out in the crowd is to pick a silhouette that will flatter your curves and create that red-carpet-ready look. Whether you opt for an embellished ball gown, dramatic one-shoulder dress, glamorous trumpet gown or short, flirty frock, picking a style in a high quality fabric will help flaunt your best features and guarantee a flawless figure in a photographer's lens. Stretch satin, organza, taffeta, jersey and charmeuse are the top picks of the season, with ruching and ruffles acting as the icing on the cake. Looking for a little extra "umph?" Pick a dress that incorporates one of the season's dramatic details, including leg-baring slits, plunging necklines or striking back interest, which is sure to turn heads.
It's All in the Details
Whether classic or modern, sweet or sassy, today's prom styles allow you to coordinate your entire look from head-to-toe. Your accessories should be tailored to your dress so that they enhance, rather than detract from your look. If your dress is on the simpler side, be bold and wear jewelry featuring colored stones or chunky jewels. Or opt to complete your show-stopping, Hollywood look with multiple bangles. A simple, shimmering handbag and an elegant hair accessory is the perfect complement to an allover print. For your feet, perfectly dyed to match or metallic, strappy sandals are the ideal solution to rise above the crowd. Concerned about wearing the same dress as someone else? Take a cue from the stars and personalize your look with fabulous accessories to ensure you leave a lasting impression.
Once you've figured out your style personality, it's time to prepare for your moment in the limelight. Nigel reveals his top tips to ensure camera-ready style for the ultimate prom photos:
Whether your look is pure princess, funky fashionista or Grecian goddess, David's Bridal simplifies the prom dress pursuit with a fashionable and affordable collection to meet any teen's needs. With over 280 stores nationwide, David's has more choices, styles and colors to coordinate perfectly with their dresses than any other retailer. Now, the hardest decision may just be choosing a date!
- Dress for Success - Try on several dresses, and buy the one that makes you feel your best, as this confidence will translate to photos. Check out DavidsProm.com for countless luxurious, yet affordable options and try David's new virtual prom fashion gallery, Promtourage, which lets you bring your prom style to life before the big night. Not only can you "try on" hundreds of prom dresses and accessories from the Red Carpet Gallery, you can also personalize your looks, change backgrounds and even invite friends to be part of your Promtourage scene.
- Sleeping Beauty - The day before having photos taken, don't underestimate getting a good night's sleep to give a rested appearance. Also, drink plenty of water to help bring a natural glow to your cheeks and pop the whites of your eyes. For the finishing touch, subtle makeup is the way to go.
- Take Charge - If more than one person is taking your picture, try to face each camera one at a time to give everybody a chance to get a good shot. You can't always guarantee a photographer's angle and picture-taking ability will do you justice, so owning your look is the most important thing to consider when stepping out in front of those flash bulbs.
- Put Your Best Foot Forward - Learn from your favorite celebrities and put one foot in front of the other, while placing your hand on your opposite hip, to get ready for the camera. This classic red-carpet pose will highlight your curves and lengthen your silhouette. Tilting your chin slightly upward will also have ravishing results.
- Confidence is Key - Confidence is the secret to a truly unforgettable shot, so flash a self-assured smile, believe in yourself and remember that it's your time to shine. When all is said and done, have fun with it so that the memory of your prom night will be much more than a photo!
David's Bridal Prom dresses range from $99-$289 and are available in sizes 1-26 in stores, with select styles sold exclusively online at davidsprom.com.
With more than 50 years of experience, David's Bridal understands the importance of providing teens and brides-to-be with a vast selection of exquisitely crafted dresses, available at affordable prices. Today, with more than 280 locations nationwide, David's Bridal continues to expand its retail store locations, while maintaining its philosophy of superior quality, value and service. To locate a store nearby, consumers can call 1.877.706.PROM or visit www.davidsbridal.com.
# # #