Posts Tagged ‘prom dresses’
5 Tips to Look Best in Prom Photos!
You spend enormous amounts of time picking out your prom dress and getting ready, so you should be sure to immortalize your effort in photographs. Your prom pictures are a lifelong reminder of one of the most exciting nights of your life. To ensure that your pictures look as great as you do, here are some quick tips.
Be Happy in Your Photos
It’s normal to be nervous when you are having your picture taken, but the best pictures are ones where you look natural. Have someone tell a joke or try to remember a funny story while pictures are being taken. You will look more relaxed and your smile will be genuine.
Strike a Pose
Being photographed straight on makes you appear larger than you are. This can be great for guys, but it is not typically a flattering pose for girls. Standing at a slight angle will make you appear narrower, and is also a great way to show off a bit of the luxe back detailing on your fab dress.
Tame Your Hair
Updos are a great way to do something different with your hair, but complicated styles may be difficult to achieve on your own. To ensure that your hair looks great and stays in place, have a professional style your hair for prom, or save your money and check out DIY video tips. Gently remind your date that a fresh haircut would look sharp with his tux.
Makeup and Grooming
You’ll want your makeup to last throughout prom, so use waterproof mascara, durable foundation and crease-resistant eye shadow. Remember that primer can help all those gorgeous colors stay where they belong. If you happen to be selected for prom royalty, have a compact ready for a quick fix before pics.
Picking an Outfit
Your prom dress should fit well and be as comfortable as possible. While prom attire will never be as cozy as your pajamas, you don’t want something you can’t move in. David’s Bridal offers lots of short prom dresses and super-danceable jersey options. Additionally, a few minor alterations can help you achieve the perfect fit.
Happy Trendy Thursday DB Readers! Since many proms are right around the corner, if you are still scrambling for a dress- here are some great options that are under $100! Three of our dresses were recently featured on PennyChic.com- an awesome website that keeps up with the latest fashion trends!
Good Afternoon DB Readers! Happy Monday Monday! For all our prom girls out there… check out a New Jersey native who is one of the top 10 finalists for our Prom Style Stars contest!
National Park’s Jessica Barr is a top 10 finalist in David’s Bridal Prom Style Stars contest
When 17-year-old Jessica Barr of National Park was browsing online for the perfect prom dress, she had no idea her search would lead her to a second place spot in the David’s Bridal Prom Style Stars contest.
“I’ve always loved David’s Bridal,” Barr said. “The dresses, the accessories, the styles are great.”
While on the bridal shop’s website, she clicked on the Prom Style Stars contest link and thought it would be fun to enter.
“I had to enter a five-minute video on prom tips,” she said. “I’ve never done anything like that before, but it was really fun.”
Noelle Landolt, online marketing manager for David’s Bridal, said once all the submissions were approved, the videos went online for viewers to vote for their favorites.
“There were a wide range of videos from prom planning to getting the perfect prom look,” Landolt said.
After the public-vote period, a panel of David’s Bridal judges chose their top-10 favorites from the 20 highest vote-getters.
“The top 10 videos were selected based on quality of the video and originality,” Landolt said.
Aside from Barr’s ability to create a quality video which presented the content in a creative way, Landolt said she offered practical advice and presented it in a helpful way that teenage girls can relate to.
“And we loved her original and empowering message that beauty comes from within,” she said.
Barr, who is a senior at Gloucester County Institute of Technology where she is studying cosmetology, has been interested in makeup since she was just a toddler.
“When I was 2 years old, I went into my grandmom’s bathroom and got into her makeup,” Barr said. “When I walked out, everyone said I looked just like Grandmom.”
After she decided to enter the David’s Bridal contest, she partnered with her cousin, Emily Pitts of Mickleton, who shot the video with her own video camera.
“I loved doing the tutorials and to see the comments from people really meant a lot, so I thought, ‘Maybe I should do this more,’” Barr said.
Landolt said after Barr’s and the other nine videos were named the Top 10 Finalists, each finalist was required to send in two more videos and three blog entries about prom preparation.
These additional videos and written submissions will be judged to pick the grand prize winner which will be announced on April 29.
“This time there is no fan voting, and the winner will get $10,000,” Landolt said.
Barr’s initial video features tips about makeup, hair, choosing a dress and having fun.
“First things first, you’ll look pretty no matter what,” Barr said about choosing a dress. “If you do have a strapless dress, make sure you use invisible straps. You don’t want to go through the whole entire night lifting up your dress and fixing it all night. That’s just a pain in the butt. And if you do end up using a short dress, keep it classy. You don’t want to go around flashing people.”
After giving more tips about choosing a date and being confident, Barr gives her final tip, telling viewers to always remember, “you’re beautiful no matter what.”
To see Barr’s videos, read her blog entries and find out if she wins the grand prize on April 29, visit www.davidsprom.com.
Good Morning DB Readers and Happy Trendy Tuesday! For the prom girls who are still in search for the perfect dress, David’s Bridal has a dress for YOU no matter your style, budget, or favorite color! Yesterday on KTLA in Los Angeles, Alison Deyette featured quite a few David’s Bridal dresses that are perfect for the fashionista!!
What to Wear to a Spring Wedding
By Carmen Ordonez
Spring wedding season has arrived and it’s time to shed the winter coats and break out the fun spring hues. For those of you with spring weddings on the horizon, here are a couple options for what to wear to a spring wedding.
Prints and Patterns
Prints and patterns are all the rage this spring. Look for prints in some of this spring’s hottest colors such as green and blue. You’ll be sure to make a fashion statement. I’m loving this green charmeuse printed dress from David’s Bridal.
Low-High Hem Lines
Can’t decide whether to go long or short, then a high-low hemline is you’re perfect solution. It’s great for a spring weddings, whether indoors or outdoors. David’s Bridal has some great options that are right on trend this spring like this pastel chiffon dress or this printed empire waisted dress.
Bold Bright Colors
Nothing says spring like bold, bright colors. This spring it’s all about the oranges, yellows and pinks. If you’re feeling a bit daring, you can also try color-blocking and pair any of these dresses with another bold color. For example, this pink tulle dress from David’s Bridal would go great with a yellow pump.
Amazing Prom Advice From The British Bardot You NEED To Read!
By Nikki Pennie
Prom is coming up soon for you lovely ladies! Being British I am sad to say that I was never able to attend prom as we don’t have them back home .
So, I’m putting my own British spin on three prom dresses I absolutely love! Part of the “London Look” is to mix up an outfit and give it your own edge. Fashion is about having fun and being original! I found this FAB David’s bridal prom dress and it is under $100 dollars style 21323, in fact it is on sale right now so it is an amazing bargain! It is gorgeous, fun and flirty. I also love the color as it would complement every skin tone and hair color. It is young, fresh and modern and a great length if you prefer to wear short and not long.
Another great option is this ivory princess gown, style G145! It is a bit more expensive but it is such a Cinderella number…Just don’t forget to be home by midnight .
Last but not least, I adore this beauty as it is effortless and chic! Style 8420DW4B is a gorgeous blue hue that will make you feel like a million dollars on your big night!
The way in which I would style these Promtastic Prom dresses is by giving them a bit of a “Rock n roll” twist, in the mode of my favorite British Bardot; Kate Moss. I would pair each dress with a cool leather biker jacket. You can get great options from Topshop, Zara, Forever 21 and some cool and simple nude or black pumps from Shoemint. If you are feeling really adventurous you could even wear some uber cool rocker ankle boots.
I would keep jewelry to a minimum as less is always more when you are wearing a gorgeous dress with a lot of detail. I would go for an evening clutch that is also quite simple and a block color that compliments the dress. You could even try a metallic, I am crazy for metallic leather bags in fun colors!
Calling all PROM fashionistas! Check out the HOTTEST Prom Dresses that were featured on Univision this morning!Friday, March 22nd, 2013
Good Afternoon! Calling all prom fashionistas! This season we have seen the hottest trends from alternative necklines, embellishments, celebrity inspiration and one shoulders fly off the shelves at all of our stores! Whether you’re conservative, flirty or cute, we have a prom dress for YOU! This morning four of our hottest prom dresses were featured on a Univision segment! Check out the most gorgeous models in our gowns!
<iframe width=’592′ height=’333′ src=’http://univisiondallas.univision.com/comunidad/videos-de-vive-la-manana/video/2013-03-22/vestidos-baile-de-graduacion-parte-1/embed’ scrolling=’no’ frameborder=’0′ allowfullscreen></iframe>
6 Simple Ways to Save on Prom
BY CATEY HILL
The fab dress, the dreamy date, the DJ and the dance party … what’s not to love about prom?!
Well, the price. The average cost of prom is more than $1,000. Yikes!
So what’s a girl to do when she wants a dream prom night, but doesn’t want to spend that much? Follow these simple tips and you’ll slash the cost of prom in no time (without sacrificing any of the fun!).
1. Get your makeup done at a department store: Go to the makeup counter at any big department store and have one of their pros do your makeup — you’ll look fab and it’s totally free! Of course, you may feel obligated to buy something. If you do, pick something inexpensive like a lip gloss that you know you’ll use again and again.
2. Get your hair and nails done by a student: Rather than go to a fancy salon for the perfect do, look into going to a beauty school. You’ll get your hair done by a student (who’s supervised by a professional, so don’t worry!) for a fraction of the cost of a salon. You can find beauty schools near you here: http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/.
You can also often score discount mani-pedis from cosmetology students (use that same link to find cosmetology schools in your area)! If there isn’t one near you, invite your girlfriends over for a pre-prom “spa day” at your house. You can do each other’s nails.
3. Buy a discounted gift card to pay for dinner: It’s super fun to go out to dinner for prom, but who wants to spend that much? You probably already know about Groupon, LivingSocial and Restaurants.com, all of which have great deals on restaurants. But here’s another little secret that can save you and your friends big: Buy a discounted gift card for the restaurant you’re going to on PlasticJungle.com. So, let’s say you’re going to Macaroni Grill for dinner. You could go in with friends and buy a gift card worth $100 on the site, but only pay $80 for it! That means you’ll get $100 worth of food for only $80! And if you still can’t afford that, don’t worry: It’s often super-fun to host a dinner party at home!
4. Score deals on your dress: It’s tempting to totally blow your budget on your dream dress, but there’s really no need to. Skip local stores and boutiques (you don’t want to end up with the same dress as another girl!) and check out the dress selection (there are so many choices!) on David’s Bridal. They have some amazing dresses that are literally half off, and tons of super-cute frocks that are well under $100! If money is really tight, look for a dress (think classic, solid colors) that you can wear again if you pair it with different shoes or accessories. Here are three great dresses under $100 we LOVE this season and will make you feel like a princess on your big night!
Remember: The #1 rule to saving money on your dress is to start shopping early. As prom approaches, the dress selection can get picked over — and that’ll make you desperate to find the perfect dress, and a little too willing to totally blow your budget.
5. Host a prom swap party: David’s Bridal once again wins my vote as the go-to spot for amazing shoes and accessories at prices you can totally afford! But if you’re running low on cash and still need a few key accessories, host a “prom swap party” for all of your girlfriends at your place. Everyone brings some fun accessories and shoes, and you guys can borrow each other’s stuff. It’s a super fun way to get together with the girls, and it allows you to put the finishing touches on your prom look. (Remember even if your BFFs shoes don’t quite fit you, you can always add insoles.)
6. Say no to pricey extras: A lot of people feel like they need to buy photos from the professional photographer at the prom or get a pricey limo. If you can afford these things, great, but they’re totally not necessary. Have your parents take the before pics, and once you’re at prom, you and your friends can use your phones to snap pics of each other. You can also rent a nice car with a driver rather than a limo, which is often cheaper, or just drive yourselves or have friends from a different school or your older brother or sis do the driving.
Thrifty Tuesday! Prom Season Is In Full Swing And We Have GORGEOUS Dresses That Won’t Break The Bank!Tuesday, March 12th, 2013
Hello DB Readers and Happy Thrifty Tuesday! Spring is upon us and you know what that means… PROM girls are searching high and low for the most perfect, gorgeous, and trendy prom dress for their big night! No matter your style, budget, fashion taste or favorite color, David’s Bridal is sure to have a prom dress that will make you feel like the ultimate princess and the most gorgeous girl on the dance floor this spring! Here are our top 3 choices of great prom dresses for three different types of girls: flirty, conservative and blingy! Check out our favorites below!