Picture-Perfect Secrets for the Red CarpetJuly 26th, 2011
1. Forget the double stick tape: Contrary to popular belief, double stick tape can cause more problems than it solves. For starters, it can ruin delicate fabrics and wreak havoc on your skin. Instead of relying on tape to hold everything in place, take the time to get clothes altered and fitted to your body. Even Dancing with the Stars costume designer Randall Christian refuses to use double stick tape on the show. He told me that a properly fitted garment is really the only way to avoid a wardrobe malfunction.
2. Come prepared: “I always carry bobby pins in my purse,” Twilight star Ashley Greene reveals. As Ashley knows, unexpected occurrences are bound to happen so it is best to be on guard. If a gust of wind should mess up your hairstyle or wild dancing leaves you looking disheveled, a handy bobby pin will have you looking refreshed in no time. Plus, it gives you an excuse to carry around a cute clutch.
3. Elongate with neutrals: Rachel Bilson jokingly refers to herself as vertically challenged so to add the illusion of height she wears nude heels. “If you have a skirt on, nude shoes elongate your legs,” she explains. “It really helps us short people.”
4. Timing is everything: Kim Kardashian told me it takes her two to three hours to get ready for a red carpet event. Granted we don’t all take that long, but we know rushing is stressful and frankly, no fun. Whether you are getting ready for your wedding or for a date, just make sure to leave ample time for primping.
5. Matchy makeup: Gossip Girl Jessica Szhor knows how to avoid being the butt of bad gossip. Her advice: “Never wear eye shadow that matches your dress,” In other words, if you are wearing a bright blue dress, don’t wear bright blue eye-shadow please. The whole matchy-matchy thing just doesn’t work.
6. Don’t forget to accessorize. Accessories can totally transform an outfit, especially if it is something you have already worn. Even Kate Middleton breathes new life into clothes she has already worn by pairing them with a different shoe or hat.
7. Serious about Shapewear: Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Jennifer Lopez and Blake Lively swear by shapewear to suck in their tummies, avoid panty lines and lift their butts. While shapewear is no longer a Hollywood secret, it is still a necessity. The proper body-shaping undergarment is imperative to creating a picture-perfect look. There’s an overwhelming variety of styles and fabrics available now including less expensive lines like Assets, sold at David’s Bridal.
8. Get some shut eye: As boring as it might sound, everyone from Madonna to Mandy Moore has told me the best red carpet secret is going to bed early. No matter how tempting it is to party the night before your wedding make sure you squeeze in some sleep. That way you’ll be under-eye- circle-free when you walk down the aisle or into an event
9. Skip the soft drinks: While a Diet Coke is tempting every now and then, resist the urge to have one before a big event. Seriously! The carbonation causes major bloating.
10. Pictures don’t lie: No matter how much time and money you spend on hair and makeup, if you don’t feel good about yourself you won’t look good. As Fergie from The Black Eyed Peas once told me, “Even if you are taking a risk, own it. Be true to yourself.” Confidence truly is the best red carpet secret.