Figure-Flattering Bridal Gown Shopping TipsMay 6th, 2010
Nicole Brewer, Celebrity and Plus Size Fashion Expert
Now that you’re in full dress shopping mode, here are some great tips to ensure you’ll find a fabulous and flawless fitting gown that’s perfect for you!
1) Let’s Get It Started If you’re full figured, start with bridal shops, like David’s Bridal, that have a large range of sizes to try on that celebrate your curves. Do your research on the bridal shops you choose so you’re not disappointed when you arrive and there are no samples to fit you. Every bride deserves to have many wedding gown options to try on. That’s really why I started my search at shops well known for their offerings in special sizes.
2) Easy Coordination Be ready to try on several dresses from at least two bridal shops or other resources. Even try on styles you think could never work! Hangers do not do a wedding gown justice, nor do most photos. The Every body looks different in every gown-so free your mind and just play! Plus, consider resources where you can shop your entire bridal party including MOB and your special little ones. convenience of a one stop shop for all your wedding needs will make for stress free ordering, tailoring and those special accessories (flower baskets, ringbearer pillow, guest book, etc).
3) The More, The Merrier Bring a friend or loved ones you trust and want to share this very special process with for their advice and honesty.
4) A Vision in White or Ivory Consider all the color options of whites available. Your dream dress may be a modern ivory shade or a pearlized white. Make sure you know your options.
5) Timing is Everything Give yourself enough time to think about your choices before you buy. Be clear on ordering time and fitting schedules leading up to your big day, as they are so important.
6) It’s All About You Choose your dress first, before deciding on bridal party and decor/design. Your dress is the center piece at the biggest party of your life! You may be inspired by your dress when selecting silhouettes, colors and details of everyone else’s wardrobe. I like to think of it like this: You (and your groom, of course) are the lead act and everyone else is your backup singers and your band! Let’s face it, the dress dictates the look of the entire wedding, and why not? It’s the most highly anticipated part of the day-besides the beautiful “I do’s”.
7) It’s All in the Details Decide what you like most about yourself and look for shapes that celebrate your curves! Also consider which parts you’d like to downplay. Simple details like ruching, embroidery, sweetheart necklines, train length, and veils all work together to create the shape you want and reveal only the very best of you. Here are two of my favorite gowns from the Oleg Cassini and Galina Collections with beautiful embellishments and complementing necklines that will fit and flatter brides of any shape.
8 ) Shape Matters No matter which gown style you choose for your big day, the most important thing you’ll wear is your shapewear. So, whether your petite or plus size, a size 2 or a size 22, the finished product depends on what you wear underneath your gown! Be sure to discuss your shapewear options with your fitter because there are so many new varieties with specialized form and function. You want to be comfortable and you want your curves to look contoured so that the focus is on the fabulous details of you in the dress.