Tips on How to Create a Bridal Style That’s All Your Own
By Dawn Mohr, Director of Product Development for David’s Bridal
Today’s weddings offer so many ways to personalize your look that even the most decisive brides can start to feel overwhelmed. With so many choices and so many voices (friends, family members, consultants), the finishing touches can take on as much importance as the dress itself. Remember, this is your day. It’s a time to express your sense of style and create the look that’s right for you. We’re here to make sure the shopping process is fun and easy.
If you’re like most brides, you want to make your look your own, but also ensure the overall styling will look great in your wedding photos for years to come. Here are some tips to finding the right accessories for your big day:
• Veils, Veils, Veils: Make sure to choose a veil that complements your dress and makes you feel comfortable. Whether you’re walking down the aisle or saying “I do” in the open air of an outdoor venue, a long cathedral veil creates a dramatic vision and looks beautiful with almost any style. Once the ceremony and photo session are over, change into a shorter veil, so you can relax and move freely at your reception. The biggest thing to remember when selecting a veil is to allow enough time to try on different styles with your gown. David’s carries many different lengths, embellishment details and even silhouettes – big volume, small volume, and heavily beaded or simple perfect ribbon edges. There are almost as many options as gowns, so time should be spent exploring what look will be perfect for you!
• Heavenly Hair Accessories: Veils are only one element of great hair accessories options. You can change your overall look by what you choose to wear in your hair. Tiaras are a very elegant and a classic choice, while headbands can be worn in a more sophisticated and modern way. Heavily embellished combs or pins create a glamorous look, while flowers and feathers look soft and romantic.
• Fanciful Footwear: Shoes are the finishing touch. Don’t make the mistake of thinking they’re “out of sight, out of mind” because even if your gown is floor length, your shoes will playfully peek out as you walk and sit. There is also a big trend in shorter or tea length gowns, which makes your shoe choice very important. David’s has a great selection of shoes – from sweet ballet flats to highly embellished platform heels. Whatever the heel height or toe shape you’re looking for, we offer a diverse assortment of styles to choose from in silk or dyeable satins. Dyeing your shoes to match your bridal party dresses, or any color you wish is a fun new trend for brides. This is a great way to add “something blue” to your wedding day style as well.
• Show-Stopping Jewelry: It’s easy to make a statement with your jewelry! Bold jewels can instantly transform a basic gown into a red carpet stunner. Classic looks are always in style and vintage-inspired jewelry is at the fashion forefront this season, sometimes with a new twist. Almost all gowns can be complemented with a classic strand of pearls. To create a more dramatic look, layer multiple strands together. Oversized stones add great style for your special day. If your gown is heavily embellished, wearing a beautiful bold chandelier earring and layered bracelets keeps you polished (without distracting from your dress). A crystal necklace and earring set always adds perfect sparkle to your big day.
• Beautiful Bags: It’s important to carry a handbag to hold all your essentials (lip gloss, hairspray, bobby pins, etc.). Whether chic and simple, or elegantly embellished, there are plenty of handbag styles and silhouettes to complement any wedding day look. Wristlet styles allow you to keep it close at hand but never in the way.
Your gown is the foundation, but how you select your accessories will define your individual style. Whether you envision yourself as a classic, glamorous, or sweet and simple bride, we have all the accessories to help you realize your perfect look.
Have fun creating a style that is uniquely you at David’s Bridal!