Every woman deserves to look and feel fabulous, and style expert Nicole Brewer is devoted to helping women discover their inner beauty and develop their fashion personality. Based in NYC, Nicole is a Wardrobe Stylist and Image Consultant who specializes in interpreting fashion trends for everyday women and translating them into effortless, accessible style.
Whether she is styling celebrities for red carpet events, shopping the market for magazine editorials, or offering style solutions on makeover segments, her ability to select the right silhouettes and choose flattering fashion-forward styles has been the secret to her success. Nicole has appeared as a fashion correspondent and style expert on shows such as Better TV, Rachel Ray, Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight & Extra.
Her professional experience and editorial background as fashion director at Essence, Heart & Soul and Mode magazines for nearly 20 years has allowed her the rare opportunity to share her passion for fashion and style advice with millions of women. Nicole is currently covering the fashion, accessory & lingerie markets for Real Simple Magazine’s Plus Size Guide to Dressing special feature, and works to assist private clients shopping for wedding gowns to help create the bridal style of their dreams.
Most recently, Nicole appeared on Fox Business with Gerri Willis to share tips on how women can re-wear bridesmaid dresses by adding accessories to change the look and style suitable for everyday events such as brunch out with friends or an outfit appropriate for the office. Nicole offers her great advice in this blog post about restyling these dresses to truly make them re-wearable! Enoy!
Wear Again Wedding Style by Nicole Brewer
You receive the wedding invitation in the mail and you think: “How much is this wedding is going to cost me? Attending a wedding can become expensive – of course you will be purchasing a gift; but you also have to keep in mind what you will wear to the wedding. A lot of women will consider purchasing a new outfit for the celebration, but if you are in the bridal party it is an absolute certainty that you will be buying a new dress. But now more than ever, it’s about getting more bang for your buck, and the good news is that whether you are a bridesmaid or simply attending a wedding it is possible to buy the perfect dress that you can wear again.
Fortunately the design team at David’s Bridal is listening and actually makes Wear Again Potential a priority when designing bridesmaid gowns. With a design studio headquartered in the garment district of New York City, they understand what women really want and need: good quality, made with easy to wear fabrics, and fashionable so that the dress can be worn more than once.
Recycling gowns is a hot trend right now and since we’ve seen Michele Obama & Kate Middleton doing it, we all want fabulous dresses that we can repurpose too… It’s just smart fashion!
I have 4 amazing dresses from David’s Bridal’s newest fall 2014 Collection – all for under $150 – that I have selected and will be offering tips on how you can re-wear them for other special occasions.
Look #1 – (*Wear to work)
- This short sleeveless mesh David’s Bridal dress is a great choice for the summer wedding season. The length is great and the soft, moveable skirt is perfect for dancing the night away!
- Alternative necklines are very popular right now, and this sweetheart illusion neckline can transition from the wedding into the workplace by simply layering the look.
- To take the look from the dance floor to the office, I have added a crisp tailored jacket and a smart shoe. The result is a polished, executive look that is a work appropriate ensemble sure to get rave reviews! I used a basic black jacket but you can also try light, summery neutrals like white, khaki or even a pop of color.
- And the best part: It’s only $119! This short mesh dress with sweetheart illusion neckline (style F15701) is available at David’s Bridal and online at www.davidsbridal.com in sizes 2-26 & comes in 24 other fabulous colors.
Look #2 – (*Brunch w/ family & friends or an afternoon date)
- This short strapless silhouette has a full skirt and can be dressed up or down, making it a fun find for any bridesmaid.
- The side pockets are a fashion bonus that add a little form-and-function, perfect for future occasions like brunch with family and friends or an afternoon date.
- The length and style of this dress makes it easy to incorporate into your everyday wardrobe. You can re-style it with a sweet cardigan or whimsical accessories, and since florals are a huge trend right now, you can go for colorful printed wedges or a floral handbag. Flirty retro accessories would also work!
- Reasonably priced at $139, this short strapless faille dress (style F15810) is available at David’s Bridal and online at www.davidsbridal.com in sizes 2-26! I love this Pacific color, but there are 11 colors to choose from.
Even though short dresses are definitely easier to repurpose, long gowns also have great wear again potential as shown in the next look:
Look #3 – (*Maxi Dress – Breezy-Bohemian for Summer Nights/Vacation)
- This long David’s Bridal bridesmaids dress is made out of a lightweight crinkle chiffon that is absolutely gorgeous and comfortable for a spring or summer wedding. I always love the one-shoulder silhouette and the cascading ruffle detail on the bust makes this gown very feminine and flattering on many body types.
- A very elegant gown to wear to a wedding, this dress can also be re-purposed as a breezy bohemian maxi dress. Pair it with jeweled sandals or flip flops, a great pair of hoop earrings, some sexy bangles and a loose, beach waved hairdo. Add a denim jacket & chic scarf and you are ready for a romantic walk on the boardwalk.
- Another great idea is to have the dress altered for a completely different look. This is a lot easier than you might think - just take it to your local dry cleaner or seamstress to have them shorten the hemline & voila! You now have a brand new cocktail dress you can wear again & again.
- This One Shoulder Chiffon Dress with Cascading Detail (style F15734) is a great deal for only $149.00. This dress is available at David’s Bridal and www.davidsbridal.com and comes in 52 colors in sizes 2-26.
Look #4 – (*for a night out on the town – Concert Downtown, Open Mic Night, Drinks with the Girls/Guys)
- Bring on the Lace! This David’s Bridal dress brings a young, fresh energy to the lace trend and is a short & sweet choice for bridesmaids this season.
- The simple silhouette and textured organza detailing along the neck and hemline can go from sweet to sassy with just a few key accessories.
- Transform the delicate look of lace with a motorcycle or bomber jacket and big, statement jewelry. Here, a metallic leather jacket and high heel boots takes this dress to an edgier level for a concert downtown or drinks with the girls.
- Priced at $149, this short strapless contrast corded lace dress (style W10184) is available in 4 other colors in sizes 2-26 at David’s Bridal stores.
David’s Bridal prides itself on designing dresses for women of all sizes. If you are a bride and searching for the perfect bridesmaid dress that will flatter everyone in your wedding party, you can select a color rather than a specific style and give your girls the freedom to find the silhouette that best suits their figure…and they will love you for it!